June is a many-splendored thing. It's not just the beginning of summer (and the end of my productivity until the kids go back to school). It's National Adopt-a-Cat Month. (I love cats! Hurrah!) It's National Accordion Acceptance Month. (I love They Might Be Giants, The Pogues, zydeco and French/gypsy songs about flies! Hurrah!) It's National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month. (I would say "Hurrah!" again, but I'd be faking it.) And it's Dairy Month, Candy Month, Gay Pride Month and Fight the Filthy Fly Month.
But you probably knew all that already. Who doesn't love whiling away a June afternoon eating M&M-sprinkled ice cream and killing filthy flies with the help of their newly adopted LGBT cats?
There is something new under the June sun, though. Now it's Audiobook Month, too -- and it's time to let the celebrations commence!
What did I have in mind? A parade, perhaps? A picnic? A pool party?
How about ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!
Next year. When I've had time to do some planning.
This year, I'm just giving away three free downloads of my newest audio book. It's an audiobookinization (new word!) of my "Holmes on the Range" short-story collection Dear Mr. Holmes. Here's how to win one of the freebies:
(1) Go here before Tuesday, June 25.
(2) Click the little white triangle thingie next to the word Sample.
(3) Pay attention!
(4) Jot down the first 12 words that the narrator (the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Barry Campbell) says.
(5) Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words pasted in.
(6) Cross your fingers and wait. Tuesday morning, I'll pick the three winners at random from all the eligible entries.
Good luck -- and happy Turkey Lovers Month!
UPDATE: We have our three winners. Mike Halliwell, David Kuskie and Owen Garratt, come on down! And Carolyn Brady, you come on down, too! I had an extra download to give away, so I went ahead and drew one more name out of the hat. (The hat was a red stocking cap, by the way. If you're disappointed that you didn't win, don't blame me. Blame it.)